About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Thursday 7 May 2009

Tinto Hill

Tinto From the South

Tinto is the largest and most conspicuous prominence in the upper Clde valley and is the highest hill a motorist on the M74 will see close up after crossing the border at Gretna and before entering the Highlands. The name Tinto derives from the red felsite rocks of which much of the hill is composed.

The most obvious start is the car park at Fallburn on the A73 from where a well-graded path climbs easily around the flank of Totherin Hill before crossing the upper reaches of Maurice’s Cleuch and on up to the prominent cairn that sits atop a big pile of stones. From the summit (707m), there are good views in every direction with the Pentland Hills a line of distant bumps 26 miles away to the north-east. The summit is criss-crossed with sheep fences but otherwise the ground is clear of obstacles and the well-cropped heath is a joy to walk on. Today, the only hazard was the strong gusty wind which whipped the map from my pocket and carried it at some speed in the general direction of the North Sea! I returned the same way down the path which was neither wet nor muddy and saw not a soul on the hill. A lone meadow pipit and the musical call of a curlew were my only companions on this blustery day!

Approaching the Summit From the North

My quick saunter took just 90 minutes up and down, but a family group could comfortably stretch it out to an enjoyable half day, particularly if the outlying hills of Scaut Hill (586m) and Lochlyock Hill (529m) are included. These 2 hills combine with Tinto to make an entertaining east-west ridge walk provided that you can arrange transport at both ends.

So next time you’re flogging up the M74 towards more exotic peaks, why not pull over for a couple of hours and take a pleasant walk up this wee hill with a view. You might even find my map!

Check out my future plans for similar walks on: http://www.hillways.co.uk/summer/summer.htm

2 comments:

  1. I live in the nearby village of Carmichael, and I'll see the hill almost every day, and climbed it my fair share too! In my totally unbiased view of course, it's definitely one of my favourite hills in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you! I always enjoy driving past Tinto and always look out for it when I'm in the area. I really must climb it again!

    ReplyDelete