About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Thursday 24 June 2010

Requiem For A Best Friend

On Iona in 2005

A chance meeting with a young family playing with a small bundle of fluff at the Cairngorm ski car park in August 1995 prompted a visit to the Glenmore village shop where a note was advertising golden retriever puppies. This in turn led to the introduction into our own lives of the most beautiful, loving and faithful companion anyone could wish for: Bonnie Girl. Bonnie was born on the 21st June 1995 to pedigree-stock golden retriever parentage in an outhouse at the Badaguish Outdoor Centre deep in the heart of the Glenmore Forest Park. She knew many homes and many guardians all of whom returned in equal share, her ever-constant love and affection. It was hard not to; she was just the perfect dog.

The Age of Innocence (for both of them)!

Bonnie accompanied me on 35 Munro ascents, from countless summer days on the Cairngorm plateau to a deep snowy winter’s day on the Five Sisters of Kintail when her shiny coat was matted in icy globules of snow. She visited Mull and Iona and even took a boat trip to Staffa! She accompanied me on so many walks over Scottish mountains, Worcestershire hills and the grassy fields of Wiltshire. She also knew well the cliffs and beaches of the Gower peninsula in south Wales and Sugar Loaf mountain above Abergavenny. Lochcarron was another favourite place for her and she even camped out with me one night high above the glen, straining at the leash to run after the deer. She never stopped running. Until today.

Must be Some Food About!

I will miss her terribly, as we all will; those of us who knew her sparkling eyes, shiny coat, amazing character and irrepressible canine guile and cunning. One day this summer, I will drive north to the Glenmore Forest Park and to Rothiemurchus where the two of us spent so many happy days together, each in our own true spiritual home. I will gaze up at the northern corries of that familiar skyline, flame-red in the evening sunshine, and stand amongst the aromatic native Scots Pines and juniper bushes and run my hands through the purple heather where Bonnie used to play.

Bonnie Girl: 1995 - 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment