About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Sunday 5 December 2010

Arthur’s Seat – A First Winter Ascent!

Arthur's Seat

Having spent most of the past week with a shovel in my hand constantly digging my way to the outside world, today it was time to get the winter gear out and enjoy a hill-walk in the snow. The distinctive volcanic mound of Arthur’s Seat (251m) can seem like the middle of the country (as opposed to the middle of Edinburgh) at the best of times. Cover it with ice and a healthy foot or two of snow and you very much are a million miles away from the surrounding streets of the city. Blue skies, clear air and bright sunshine completed the magical mix which ensured a superb couple of hours of winter walking.

Looking Across Salisbury Crags to Edinburgh

Such is the amount of snow that has fallen in these parts during the past 7 days, it was hardly surprising to see an avalanche warning issued for this wee hill a couple of days ago. Come the weekend though and the snow has consolidated pretty well and there’s a greater danger from snow falling from high rooftops in the city than on the steep slopes of Arthur’s Seat. The paths are all compacted snow now which is icy enough to make progress slow and thoughtful. The summit rocks are passable with care but if you have crampons and an ice axe, you will certainly benefit from using them. Avoid the steeper paths on the way down and try and stay on the softer snow to remain upright.

The Summit

On the lower slopes, sledgers and skiers mingled with walkers, dogs and children all savouring the wonderful winter experience that is a Sunday stroll on sun-kissed snow! Don’t worry if you didn’t get out this weekend, something tells me there will be many more opportunities before we get to see our back lawns again!

Global Warming On Hold!

Check out my future plans for this winter on: http://www.hillways.co.uk/winter/winter.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment