About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Friday 10 June 2011

Skye 2011 - A Romp Around the Cuillin!

All Smiles - Only 11 To Go!

This past week I have been helping out the good doctor (http://www.darrenmcaulay.com) guiding clients on the Black Cuillin of Skye. Whilst the weather was significantly better than on my previous trip last month, a relentless succession of depressions, fronts and troughs conspired to ensure a flexible approach to the daily programme!

Loch Coruisk

By the week’s end, all 12 Cuillin Munros had been climbed by at least some of the group including a full house on the west ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean and the Inaccessible Pinnacle!

Classic Skye Scrambling

Throughout the week, Fergus has been regaling us with his full repertoire of...err...jokes, Duncan has been reeling off his various club memberships and demonstrating the virtues of a healthy lifestyle, Lynn has been chatting away (and occasionally head-butting the gabbro) and Julie has been trying to forget she’s an overworked vet!

Am Basteir

Subjects discussed included the relative merits of adding a third lane to the M8; whether boiled potatoes taste better unpeeled; just how many apples can one man eat and what colour of a mountain guide’s trousers most appeals to a female veterinary surgeon!

Sgurr nan Gillean From Am Basteir

Throughout the week, Darren was his usual cool, efficient self, tying knots and stuff and pretending he wasn’t interested in the louseworts.
As for myself, I trailed dutifully behind, did what I was told, removed bits of climbing gear and, like the rest of the party, listened to Fergus……..

Me & the Doc!

Here are some pictorial highlights of the week showing what we got up (and down) to!


Lynn Starts Up the In Pinn

Half-Way Up The In Pinn

Julie Contemplating the Colour of Mountain Guides' Trousers...

Duncan Abseils Off the In Pinn

Climbing the Difficult Step on Am Basteir

Evening Rainbow On Loch Harport


Check out my future plans for similar walks on: http://www.hillways.co.uk/summer/summer.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment