About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Monday 17 October 2011

Ben Nevis - First Snow of Winter!

The week has started with a pretty brisk up and down the Ben with Cheryl who decided that climbing the highest mountain in the British Isles to raise money for Rett UK ( http://www.rettuk.org/rettuk-public/rettuk.html ) was a great way of remembering a close friend. It certainly was.

The weather forecast was atrocious – strong winds, heavy showers and snow! Accordingly, we started up the hill with an open mind and I took along the ice axes just as a precaution. As it was, we enjoyed the best of the day with little wind and no showers. Yes there was snow and some ice on the upper part of the mountain and yes it started snowing once we were on top, but we had no complaints.

The snow turned to rain and remained with us all the way down but it couldn’t take away Cheryl’s amazing personal achievement, climbing her first mountain in a most creditable time (6½hrs from start to finish) and raising over £1,000 for a great cause.

It was a privilege to guide her.

Check out my future plans for this winter on: http://www.hillways.co.uk/winter/winter.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment