About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Saturday 9 June 2012

Ben Nevis – Snow Almost Gone!

Whilst it poses no problems and is receding and softening all the time, there is still plenty of snow on the upper summit plateau of the Ben. This proved more entertaining than tiresome for 9-yr old Ollie as he led his dad Richard and myself up the big mountain a couple of weekends ago.


Ollie Takes a Rare Breather.

The hill was quite crowded with numerous Three Peaks charity climbs underway and brightly coloured t-shirts proclaiming the different charities were everywhere! We also had the Olympic torch passing through Fort William to contend with so quiet it was not!


Quiet It Was Not!

Good weather, which lasted the whole day, enhanced the experience and it was clear on top (first time for me this year) which brightened even further the triumphant summit atmosphere. Runners, walkers and staggerers posed for photos and 3 young guys retrieved some bagpipes from their rucksacks and proceeded to play appropriate bagpipey tunes.


Bring It On!


Not everyone had a great day though – approaching the half-way point, the prostrate shape of one charity eventer suggested his climb was over. Sure enough, as we passed him his mates had already called for help and the rescue helicopter duly arrived a few minutes later – adding further to young Ollie’s big day out experience!


Rescue Underway!

We were up and down in a little over 6hrs and Ollie was well pleased with himself – as he had every right to be. A most creditable effort for a most engaging young man who now has just 282 Munros to go!


Check out my plans for similar walks at: http://www.hillways.co.uk/summer/summer.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment