About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Monday 27 January 2014

MTA Winter Training Weekend - Cairngorms




A Discussion About All Things Snow!

I’m just back from Glenmore Lodge in the Cairngorms where those nice folks from the Mountain Training Association (MTA) laid on a winter training package for members of the Association.  A number of different workshops were available and I opted for 2 of the (for me) more technical subjects: avalanche awareness and security on steep ground.


Busy Probing the Snow Pack

Saturday was spent in the company of Mark Diggins, Co-ordinator of the Scottish Avalanche Information Service (SAIS - http://www.sais.gov.uk ) ably assisted by Keith Miller.  A font of knowledge and widely-acclaimed expert on the white stuff, Mark gave us a morning of classroom theory before taking us up into Coire an t-Sneachda with snow shovels and probes to investigate the snow pack.  All very useful stuff even if the weather limited our scope for travelling higher into the mountains.


All Snowed Out - Time for Tea!

Sunday was even worse!  Strong winds and blizzard conditions closed the ski road for the day and effectively closed the mountains too.  Nevertheless, Sam, Richard & Andy did their best at substituting the practical side of things with some useful classroom discussions.  We did venture out in the morning, walking through the forest from the Lodge in search of the nearest available steep snow.  However, as soon as we popped our heads above the tree-line, Sam’s anemometer recorded a sustained wind speed of 84mph and we beat a hasty retreat for the classroom!


Scuttling Back to the Classroom!

A big thank you to Belinda Fear from the MTA for organising the weekend and for all the instructors who took time out to help provide this valuable opportunity for some continuing professional development.

  
Check out my plans for this coming winter at: http://www.hillways.co.uk/winter-hillwalking.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment