About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Tuesday 28 October 2014

An Otter on Ben Nevis



Glen Nevis

It’s been a while so it was good to return to Ben Nevis recently for what proved to be an ascent with a difference!

Going Strongly For The Top!
Torrential rain and gale-force winds during the previous 48 hrs did not bode well for the climb but come the day, the bad stuff was all gone by breakfast leaving us with a calm and largely clear day.  That said, there was plenty of groundwater about the place and a million new burns cascading down the mountainside to contend with.

A Very Full Red Burn
We made excellent progress and didn’t enter cloud until well up the zig-zags at about 1000m.  A light, but chilly, breeze on the summit was the only adverse weather we encountered all day and we were on top in exactly 3 hrs.  No view, but spirits were high after such a quick ascent - and the guys had plenty of energy left for the descent.

A Murky Summit!
This was accomplished at a similar pace and we needn’t have worried about the shortening winter days as we were back at the car in 5¼ hrs!  

Glen Nevis
However, my own personal highlight has to be the amazing sight of an otter crossing the main path right in front of us!  He was heading in the general direction of Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe at 600m above sea level and we were so surprised, no-one had time to grab a camera before he had slunk out of view!

Autumn Colours In The Glen
I’ll be ready for him next time mind… 

Check out my plans for this winter at:  http://www.hillways.co.uk/   

No comments:

Post a Comment