About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Keith Gault and I've been tramping the hills of the UK and further afield for over 40 years now. This blog records some recent hill days undertaken either on my own, with friends, or with clients under my guided hillwalking Company: Hillways (www.hillways.co.uk). I hope you enjoy my diary; please feel free to comment on any of the walks. I will respond to any direct questions.

Saturday 30 May 2015

Ben Vorlich



Ben Lomond & Loch Lomond From the Summit

Once in a while, near-perfect weather, great company and a nice wee hill combine to give a truly memorable day which lives long in the memory.  But until such a day comes along, Aileen, Pete & Audrey helped ease the wait by agreeing that Ben Vorlich in the Arrochar Alps would be a most agreeable way of spending  a spring Saturday!


Ben Vane from Coiregrogain

They’ve completed work on the new electricity sub-station in Coiregrogain so the short walk up the metalled road from Inveruglas is a little quieter these days.  Despite all the electricity paraphernalia, it is still a pretty part of the planet and the steep slopes of the surrounding hills add much to the scenic grandeur of the glen.

One kilometer from the Sloy dam, a small cairn marks the otherwise indistinct start to an occasionally wet path that climbs the steep grassy hillside.  Up we headed, in warm sunshine with the view improving rapidly with each footstep.  And then, as we crested the summit ridge, views exploded in all directions and the hard work was over.  So were the warm conditions (for a while, at least) as a cool breeze took the edge off the temperature.  The summit cairn (200m north of the trig point) was particularly drafty: Ben Vorlich (943m; hill of the bay). 


The Arrochar Alps

We did manage to find a sheltered spot for lunch though and I was treated to the best coronation chicken morning roll I’ve ever tasted.  Consequently, Audrey has kindly agreed to provide my lunch and accompany me on all future hills!  Well, I think that’s what she said…


A Distant Ben Vorlich from the Bonnie, Bonnie Banks

We descended, almost reluctantly, from our airy perch and the warmth returned once we out of the wind.  The sun kept shining and was still there for the après hill refreshment stop where some us drank soft drinks and coffee and some of us drank Sauvignon Blanc…..

A most agreeable day, and not such a long wait after all!



Check out my plans for the summer at:  http://www.hillways.co.uk/   

No comments:

Post a Comment